Sunday, June 26, 2011

Week 5: Swiss Alps Cheesecake

First thing I have to say is, I'm glad I've picked up running!  Oherwise, I'd surely gain a ton of weight with this cheesecake experiment ;) 
This week, I chose an appetizer style cheesecake - it can be likened to a heavy cheesespread that you can put on crackers.  It's listed in the "Savory" section of George's cookbook.  This cheesecake turned out well, and our friends who had us over for brunch today seemed to enjoy it, too.

Here is the adapted version of George Geary's Swiss Alps cheesecake:

3/4 cup crushed crackers
2 tbsp melted butter

1 package cream cheese, softened (and as a reminder, cheesecake and eggs should come to room temperature before making cheesecake)
1 egg
1tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp chopped dill
1 tsp dried onion flakes
1 clove garlic minced (I just used 1 tbsp pre-minced garlic from a jar)
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

In a bowl, combine the crushed crackers and butter, then press mixture into the bottom of a cheesecake pan (if using a springform pan, make sure to grease the bottom and the sides).

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese on med speed for 3 minutes.  Add egg, and mix until blended.  Then add the lemon juice, salt, dill, onion flakes and garlic.  With a spatula, fold in the Swiss cheese.  Pour the mixture over the frozen crust, and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (my oven runs hot, so I only baked my cheesecake for 25 minutes).  Bake until the middle has a slight jiggle and top has slight brown color.  Cool for two hours, then wrap tightly in saran wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours. 

This can be served with crackers.  

Next week.... something chocolatey!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment